dinsdag 25 september 2012

Plaatjespost & Picture Post: Learning Photography II

I can now shoot pictures in "manual", meaning, that I can now photograph stuff old skool style - you know, setting the shutter speed, setting the aperture, choosing a white balance, picking the ISO. I am very intimidated by the growth of my skill set.

I cannot take pictures of E. in manual, as she moves around, which means I have to re-do all my settings, which means I have to think, which means that she's already off somewhere else jumping into a pool, trying to cross a road, re-programming my mobile into Turkish or filching sweets from Singaporean aunties - all those things that toddlers love to do while their parents blink.

So, I apologize for the boring static pictorial content of this post. However, I'll try to explain a little of the techniques, which might make it slightly less yawn inducing.

Also: there is a picture of ME in this post!



Lesson 1: Photographing with back light.
The trick here is to fake the camera into thinking there is a different exposure than it would guess on its own. (It's not that hard, actually. There's a button for this on the camera.) Basically, point the camera somewhere you think has the right amount of light to take the picture you want. Lock exposure. Focus on your actual object. Click. 
I discovered transparent objects are really hard to get right. 



Lesson 2: Freestyling.
Hold camera in one hand (after having decided on your settings). Stretch out your arm. Point in direction of object. Hope for the best. Click. (Or even better: clickclickclickclickclick to up your chances of getting it right.) This is the only decent picture I managed so far with this technique.



Lesson 2: Stitch panorama.
There was a lot of white balance and gray scale involved in this lesson, but that went over my head a bit. However, I do now know - theoretically - how to take a good panorama picture without those annoying changes in exposure. The trick is to use manual, so your camera won't re-think its settings between clicks, and to use a tripod so you don't move the camera from your chosen viewing point. 



Lesson 3: Portraits and macros.
This is the result of "shooting the scene". We picked a subject (these flowers, in my case) and took literally dozens of pictures of them. I wandered off to another nice flower a couple of centimeters to the left and was sternly directed back to my chosen object by the inspiring, passionate but also quite strict Karen Lucas of Baobab Photography. I got a little frustrated when a slew of pictures turned out, well, really boring, but keeping at it did show me what a wealth of options there are for even the simplest of subjects. If you're interested I could illustrate this point with about 17 lovely pictures (and dozens again that are meh).



Lesson 4: Night photography.
The joy of torches! See how lovely I back lit this leaf to make it look like it's fake? Or at least in a studio with lots of special lighting? But no! It's real! In a garden! All I did was shine a torch light on it from the back, which I moved up and down slowly. Amazing discovery!



Lesson 4: Night photography.
The ingredients: A tripod, slow shutter speed, delayed shutter action to give the pregnant one a chance to get in front of the camera and "2nd curtain" flash, meaning the flash goes off at the end of the exposure time instead of at the beginning.

Run to spot marked by leaf (see feet). Wait for click. Jump. Repeat. Repeat.

"Please stop doing that", said my horrified class mates as I waddled back clutching my belly.

4 opmerkingen:

  1. Wat een prachtige foto's heb je gemaakt. Echt super knap!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Dank - ik heb ze nog wel een beetje nabewerkt met photoshop hoor, lelijke takjes en storende blaadjes van de randen afgeknipt enzo :) Maar het viel alleszins mee, ik heb wel eens harder moeten werken om het toonbaar te krijgen!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Photoshop hoort tegenwoordig ook bij de kunst van het fotograferen!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen