maandag 31 december 2012

Twelve commandments for 2013

I'm still pregnant. By now we can be fairly sure that this boy is going to be a 2013 baby.

2011 was a year of upheaval, 2012 one of settling in. We're hoping to see a few new developments in 2013, the first of which should be arriving around the start of January. As for the other ones - we're open to change, but as we're not big on planning ahead, who knows what the rest of the year'll bring?

Recently I read Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project (the book, not the blog) and I found it inspiring. The happiness she's looking for is not the opposite of unhappiness or depression, but the opposite of being sucked into the daily grind. Many of the things she changes are small, but taken together it makes a fairly big dent in her daily dose of feeling good. I want that too, so that's what I'm going to do in 2013. I'm going to make myself happier. Because as Rubin writes:

"The days are long but the years are short."

The first thing Rubin advises to do is figure out your personal "commandments", the guidelines by which you live. As she points out, I already knew most of these - I just need to remind myself of them more often. So here they are:

1.  Do unto others as I would have them do unto me: be kind and trust others.

2. Remember to laugh at myself.

3. I will never regret time spent cuddling my loved ones.

4. Count to ten.

5. Listen.

6. Loved ones are worth honesty. Accept criticism.

7. I can only focus on three things at a time in my life.

8. Give inspiration a chance to visit.

9. Don't compromise yourself, you're all you've got (also: de mens lijdt het meest onder het lijden dat hij vreest - man suffers more from the fear of suffering than from suffering itself).

10. Carrying guilt around does not make me a better or more enjoyable person (or: don't be a martyr).

11. Mens sana in corpore sano, most importantly: go to bed.

12. Just do it.

So, in the name of good resolutions, I'm off.

Happy New Year everybody!!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie plaatsen