dinsdag 18 november 2014

I have a life outside of parenting

It might come as a surprise, but I do have a life outside of parenting. And I am not going to add in "barely", because it is not barely, it is actually a sizeable chunk of time and the reason that I am hitting a snag in my stride on this NaBloPoMo thing. 

So, what do I do when I am not minding the children, inventing new pasta sauces because I lack five ingredients for the one I intended to make or when I am not frantically googling "paint stain removal" because it turns out that the promise on the tube of the children's paint that it would be "easily washable from almost all clothing" does not include the cloth of my favourite dress.

I do research, email back and forth, receive texts to edit, and write things, like articles and speeches and other stuff with words in it.  

Today, I read all about ASEAN (the loose organization of ten countries in South East Asia) and exactly how far along they are in their path onto becoming an Economic Community in 2015 (the AEC - ASEAN Economic Community). Apparently, they've hit 79.7% of their target, which sounds impressive, But a lot of people (including the Asian Development Bank) are not that impressed at all. Then I talked to a lawyer who's looking into this to figure out what it means for Dutch companies (short answer: it's all still quite murky. But I'm going to stretch that into 1600 words, give or take). 

(I am sorry this is not a very interesting or coherent post, but like I said, I'm making this up as I go along today.)

The other day I was reading an older publication with a foreword by the Ambassador, and I thought to myself that it was a rather good piece. So I checked, and yes, I did actually write that. 

That was a nice moment. It reminds me why I do this in the first place. (It also makes me wonder why (OH WHY) I procrastinate, but I am working on that too.) It reminds me that I should stop worrying about ultimately inconsequential stuff (like my age, like how to navigate another project that has a bad vibe to it, like the fact that my favourite dress never quite fit the way I thought it should and why (OH WHY) did I finish the smarties?).

It reminds me that I need to get back to work.

NaBloPoMo November 2014

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten