vrijdag 14 november 2014

Repeating history: Changi airport

We did not arrive in Singapore at one of the first flights into Changi Airport. The first flight to land at Changi Airport came from Kuala Lumpur and landed on 1st of July in 1981.

We arrived in May or June of 1981, so it must have been one of the last flights touching ground at Paya Lebar. I remember nothing of it.

I do remember Changi Airport. 

We flew to the Netherlands three times, but we also went on holiday to Sri Lanka, Bali and the Philippines. My father travelled a lot, and we often went to see him off or pick him up from the airport. When we arrived in Singapore in 2011 I did not remember the arrival hall, but I dimly recognized the hibiscus and palm tree lined road in front of the terminal.

The light bulb did not go off until I spotted Changi's airport traffic control tower. 





I knew Schiphol's air traffic control tower always felt a little off. A bit squashed, the ball on top not quite round enough, the colours a tad beige. I chalked it up to rose-tinted memories. But as it turns out, it was just the wrong tower. 




The next time Man Tamtam, Blondie and I went to Changi, I recognized the carpet. I don't think the design has been changed in the last thirty years. 

I feel comfortable at Changi. It is, of course, the world's best airport, but then, Schiphol usually scores quite high as well on those lists. And I never feel at home at Schiphol (mostly, I feel like leaving). 

When I walk through Changi's hallways, there is residue of good feeling swirling around, a wake of half-forgotten feelings of excitement to pick up papa, memories of the big bunches of purple orchids he would bring for mama and the up-ended ice cream cones in the shape of clown faces called 'San Francisco' that I always used to get. Once we got to the car I used to climb all over the back seat (this is the era before seat belts), curling up on the floor behind the driver seat, or lying horizontally across the back.

One time we picked up my father after I had gone swimming, and I was all huddled in a big terrycloth towel. It must have been evening, and I was rosy and everybody was happy, and the car windows were open so there was a breeze and that warm Singapore smell. 

My mother tells the story of how she lost me at Changi, because I was transfixed by women in beautiful saris and had followed them down the hallway and around the corner. "You've never lost that love of colour and sparkle", she says, shaking her head. 

When we left Singapore to go back home in 1984, of course we left from Changi. My mother had gotten me a long-sleeved hibiscus pink dress, made out of terry cloth. I remember admiring myself in the mirror of our Singapore hotel room, wondering when we would go back to our own house. I think I wore the dress on the plane, to keep me warm.

I don't remember wearing the dress ever again.


NaBloPoMo November 2014

5 opmerkingen:

  1. Hey there, I found you via the NaBloPoMo blogroll.

    I love airports as I am a bit of a plane geek. I visited Changi once on my way to Amsterdam and I also felt that residue you mention. It is a happy feeling.

    I too have a love of colour and sparkle, and I had a terry cloth tracksuit for travelling when I was a kid. :)

    As part of NaBloPoMo I try to comment on as many participating blogs as I can, and I also add participating blogs to my feed reader.

    So I’m just dropping by to let you know I’ve added your blog to my feedreader, I’m reading you loud and clear, I have a link up going at my place so my readers can find participating blogs which you are more than welcome to add your blog link to.

    Looking forward to seeing your posts, and you’ll likely see me drop by again during November.

    Happy NaBloPoMo to you!
    Snoskred
    http://www.snoskred.org

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Thank you for your comment! Of course, I immediately visited your blog as well :) Love your kitties, and carter, and interesting stuff, the scambaiting! I'll drop by again to find out more :)

      Happy NaBloPoMo to you too!

      Verwijderen
  2. Je verhalen zetten mij aan het denken!! Heel fijn en erg leuk Katrijn!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen